Wednesday, May 23, 2012

First attempt at Meal Planning

I'm nauseous.
Which is the story of my [pregnant] life. 
BUT I do have red beans in my crock pot. 
This is awesome for many reasons.
-They taste good.
-Cheap
-So little effort
-My kids don't have to eat a sandwich for dinner [again].

Cooking is something I really just don't like doing.
I mean after all of the effort and shopping and preparing and fixing and dishes, normally if I'm the cook it doesn't even come out all that spectacular. 

Plus I'm cooking for 4. I'm a kind of this is what I cooked so this is your only option for dinner mom, but I can't exactly pull that with my husband. He's a little pickier of an eater, although he's come a long way through the ten years of our relationship. He doesn't care for anything green in color, and he certainly won't even entertain eggs or beans.

Philip works so much and so often he works on the road and out of town during week days. 
He'll be working a local job soon though, so he told me to put my cookin' apron on and prepare to... prepare food.........

JOY.

So anyway, here's the plan.
Yeaaaaaaa so I'ma go from cooking 2-3 times a week to 5 times a week. 
Because I declare off on weekends. 
I'm the momma, and I can do that. 

I'm going to try really hard to follow this schedule. 
A lot of it was hard to come up with, but I think I've got a good mix of things that Philip and the kids will all eat. 

I normally don't freeze food, but I'm going to try that route too. 

We're trying to budget better and simplify in spending so hopefully this helps with that.
Okay. It's out there. I wrote meal plans on a calendar.
AND I'm blogging about it.
So that means this is commitment.
7-months-pregnant-I-hate-to-cook-but-follow-my-husband's-subtle-requests commitment.


11 comments:

  1. I wish I had the ambition you have to start cooking again. We stopped cooking in our house about a year and half ago and just eat out every night! I'm sure we spend a stupid amount on money to eat out but I just feel better knowing I'm eating food I will enjoy instead of possibly buying food and cooking resulting in not liking! I'm very picky and probably picky than Philip so you don't have it that bad off. I won't eat any veggies, no beans, no soups, and the list goes on so it's really hard to find things I can cook that don't bore my husband which eats just about anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the ambition but little motivation. We'll see how far I get.
      We started budgeting with mint.com and it said we spend the most in food (restaurants, fast food) That's mostly due to Philip working on the road and me not cooking while pregnant, so I'm attempting to change that!

      Thanks girl! lol@ at your picky eating!!

      Delete
    2. Oh I know most of our money is spent on food because we literally do not buy anything else. I have tried a few things here and there due to Pinterest. I guess I should start blogging about the things I find and try if they are worth doing it again. Maybe if I commit to do something along those lines I would have more motivation to continue on. Please let me know if you find a new recipe that you like, maybe that will give me motivation. Jason usually has a game every night so we are rarely even home before 10 so that means dinner somewhere's after that and I surely not cooking that late because that would put us eating at like midnight by the time we drove home then cooked. Good luck and can't wait to hear how it all goes!

      Delete
  2. I used to be so good about meal planning, but I kind of lost my zeal and inspiration. I think I'm just tired of doing dishes. I love to cook, but clean up? UGH!

    Best wishes and I hope it goes well. It really is worth it once you get the hang of it.

    And btw, I love the name Selah!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hoping I can follow through. If not now, after I have the baby IT'S ON!

      Thank you!!!!

      Delete
  3. Very awesome! We've been doing a weekly meal plan for a few months now and it's been fantastic. I could never as ambitious as to do a month like you because we plan our weekly meals around the grocery store sales ads. You'll save so much money and you'll be happier that you're eating more healthy too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weekly is probably what I should have done. Especially since I have no idea if Philip is home certain weeks or not etc.
      I've committed to June though, and I'm looking forward to stocking the freezer some. Thanks for the encouragement!

      Delete
  4. You are way ahead of me!!! I actually used to plan each week until a couple of weeks ago when heartburn and nausea kind of thwarted much of our familiar food plans. Hopefully some day I'll get back to it. Looks like you've got quite a task ahead of you! But maybe Adeline can help you with little things - like stirring! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Going well. Well enough anyway.
      When someone will actually eat what I cook!

      Delete