Thursday, February 5, 2015

My 6-year Old

Oh, my girl.
6 years ago right now we were in a stuffy hospital room with handsy nurses and an idiot doctor with a golf game to get to. It had been such a hard pregnancy, such a long wait. There was a couple of points where my life was in danger, and then one point where hers was. The doctor sent me home at 20 weeks pregnant with a "50% chance of losing her". I had been at my weakest up until then, but when that percentage was tossed at my feet, and that clinic room door slammed I rose up. She rose up. We've been battling together since that day. 15 hours of hard labor with a doctor constantly threatening me with surgery if we didn't meet her timeline. We did not. But as Adeline likes to do, she made her own. 5:25, 20 minutes of pushing and I was a momma to an 8lb 1oz 21inch long baby girl.

She didn't take it easy on breaking me in either.
We had nursing issues for 6 weeks until we finally got everything right.
She had colic tendencies and cried ALL of the time.
The only way she would sleep was on my chest.
The only way she was content was if we walked circles around our house bouncing and swaying.

Toddler and preschool years were not much different.
She reached milestones weeks and months early only preparing herself and me to get into trouble earlier than the rest.
Early walker, talker, and learner which was equally bitter as it was sweet.
We would rate her temper tantrums in "Category 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5s".
The 5s were bad. Those required both of us.
So many nights we'd lay in bed repenting our mistakes, questioning our methods, and searching our hearts as to the best way to parent this strong-willed beautiful hurricane child.
She's always been sensitive. Always been passionate. Always tough.

There hasn't been much that came easy when it came to Adeline.
Except loving her.
There is no challenge that could make us love her any less. No trait. No flaw.
I love Adeline as passionately as she loves this life.
As passionately as she loves Jesus.
As passionately as she loves people.
As passionately as she loves that stuffed turtle she's had since she was 4 months old.
As passionately as she loves art, dance, and creating.
As passionately as she loves to cuddle with her daddy.
As passionately as she loves babies, particularly mine.

And if you know Adeline, then you know that means I love her a lot.
We are celebrating 6 years of passion and life and so much unconditional love for this child today. Happy Birthday my sweet Adeline Jean.





and because do come here often to see posts about the kids I've written in the past, I found this question post on her 3rd birthday entry. I re-asked her all of the same questions, and I was surprised most of them haven't changed.

1. What is your favorite color? green
2. What is your favorite toy? my turtle
3. What is your favorite fruit? apple
4. What is your favorite tv show? Doc McStuffins
5. What is your favorite thing to eat for lunch? Jelly and Butter sandwich
6. What is your favorite outfit? Mickey and Minnie pajamas
7. What is your favorite game? hide and go seek
8. What is your favorite snack? crackers and peanut butter
9. What is your favorite animal? Turtles!
10. What is your favorite song? 'Let it Go'
11. What is your favorite book? Tinkerbelle
12. Who is your best friend? Lily!
13. What is your favorite cereal? Apple Jacks
14. What is your favorite thing to do outside? ride my bike and scooter
15. What is your favorite drink? tea
16. What is your favorite holiday? my birthday
17. What do you like to take to bed with you at night? My turtle
18. What is your favorite thing to eat for breakfast? pancakes
19. What do you want for dinner on your birthday? tacos
20. What do you want to be when you grow up? mommy

Oh kid. Here's to six.

No comments:

Post a Comment